Schmied via ferrata
Schmied via ferrata – level of difficulty B–C, access version D–E
Access approx. 15 minutes away from the Gosauschmied inn. You head up in three sections over rock faces above the reservoir in Gosau Hintertal.
- Nature of course: this via ferrata leads through the rock faces above the reservoir in Gosau Hintertal. The first section is classified as level of difficulty B and C and starts 50 m south of the water basin and leads in a traverse to the end of this face section. The "short but tough" access version is D–E level of difficulty and leads vertically up to the climb in the middle of the rock face. Section 2 is mainly B and an upwards diagonal traverse of an inclined slab wall. After a short forested section, the 3rd section of the tour (graded B and C) is a return to the tail by means of a ladder and a rope bridge. (summit book)
- Level of difficulty: mainly B with a few short C passages, access version D–E
- Length: 640 m
- Arrival: From Gosau to Gosauschmied inn and the car park there.
- Access: from Gosauschmied car park out of the valley over the Gosau brook then right following a forest trail on the reservoir circular path. Follow this to the Klamml / Ebenalm turnoff. 50 m to the turnoff on this trail turn left to the entrance. Roughly 15 minutes from Gosauschmied.
- Descent: you can reach the Bäralm (no catering) in about 20 minutes on the yellow marked trail. From this you can get back down to the reserve again in 40 minutes on a beautiful alpine path and back to Gosauschmied.
- Information about securing and safety devices: steel cable, curved pegs and brackets with low risk of injury.
- Starting place: Gosau on the Dachstein (730 m)
- Base: Gosauschmied inn (760 m)
- Best time of year: May to October
You can find a detailed description of the via ferrata supplied by bergsteigen.at here.