Ski tours and freeriding in Dachstein Salzkammergut
When the slopes are not enough …
As varied as the selection of prepared slopes is in the Dachstein West ski region, some skiers are simply attracted over the edge of the slopes out into open terrain. Some let the tranquillity of nature make an impact on them during a ski tour, others are looking for the next great deep powder run. The team at the Hotel Sommerhof will inform you about the options for ski tours and freeriding in the world heritage site of Dachstein Salzkammergut.
Ski tours on the Dachstein
Step by step you climb the snowy slope to get to your final destination and fortified with a snack to the reward you have earned: one more look over Hallstatt, Oberraun and the Gosaukamm and a photo and then the ski down through soft powder snow. Ski tours in all levels of difficulty await you in the Dachstein Salzkammergut region:
Easy ski tours
- From the Krippenstein to Heilbronnerkreuz – over the Margschierf to the Gjaidalm (takes approx. 2 and a half hours)
- From the Gjaidalm to the Wiesberghaus (1,882 m) – Wildkarkogel – Gjaidalm (takes approx. 3 and a half to 4 hours)
Moderate ski tours
- From the Gjaidalm over the ice lake to the Simony hut (2,203 m) and back to the Gjaidalm (takes approx. 4 to 4 and a half hours)
- From the Gjaidalm over the Moderstein, Mitterstein/Hunerkogl (2,602 m) to the Dachsteinwarte (2,720 m) over the Hallstatt glacier to the Simony hut – back to the Gjaidalm (takes approx. 6 hours)
Difficult ski tours
- From the Gjaidalm to the Simony hut (2,203 m) – an approx. 13 km descent to Hallstatt via the Wiesberghaus down to the Echern valley (takes 4 to 5 hours)
- From the Gjaidalm to the Simony hut – Hoher Trog (2,354 m) – approx. 14 km descent via Weittal to Hallstatt (takes approx. 6 to7 hours)
Skitour to the Goiserer Hut
The silence and seclusion of the mountain world, fresh powder snow and a magnificent view - a ski tour to the Goisererhütte promises a special kind of nature experience. Directly from Gosau, you move for 5km through the snowy landscape to the alpine hut, where you will be awaited with delicious specialties. The early alpine sports will be a big hit again. And rightly so, who doesn't enjoy a bit of silence off the slopes?
The free ski bus takes you to the municipal office, and from there it is only a few meters to the entrance.
Guided ski tours
Anyone who wants to venture their first steps on tour skis, is best to contact one of the outdoor schools that offers ski tour courses for beginners and advanced. We at Hotel Sommerhof will be happy to assist you in selecting the right course.
Freesports Arena Krippenstein
Endless downhill runs in magical powder snow, leaving the first line in an immaculate field of snow: anyone who wants to understand the attraction of off-piste skiing has to have experienced the adventure themselves. The neighbouring (15-minute car drive) Freesports Arena Krippenstein with the longest downhill run in Upper Austria (11 km) and a challenging area for off-piste and high-alpine tours is a real paradise for freeriders and ski tourers. The Freesports Arena Krippenstein is considered to be an unbeatable hotspot for freeriders way beyond the national borders.
An off-piste adventure on the Dachstein
Appropriately equipped and well-informed about the snow situation and avalanche report you can tackle your off-piste adventure. Here at Hotel Sommerhof we will be happy to provide you with further advice and information for your planned ski tour. After your day in the wintry outdoors, you will really enjoy the relaxation on offer and the fine dining at the Sommerhof – browse through our packages or send us your no-obligation enquiry directly!